Monday 11 February 2013

Eat: Spaghetti with prawns and chilli



This is a really simple midweek supper that I pinched from a SW magazine. I try not to eat pasta too much {though give me a bowl of carbonara and I am in heaven} though this one is packed full with so much vegetable and lean protein that I can forgive it. Plus it's got a real kick of chilli that fires up the ol' metabolism {doesn't it?! Yes...it definitely does. Shush}.

Ingredients:

Spaghetti {or any pasta shape that takes your fancy}
King prawns {mine were cooked and frozen}
6 Spring Onions
A couple of teaspoonfuls of lazy garlic or a couple finely chopped cloves
Some plum tomatoes {or, because I was emptying the fridge, the regular kind}
A red chilli
Rocket

Cook the spaghetti til it's cooked to your liking then drain, cover and put to one side to stay warm. Meanwhile, finely chop up your vegetable ingredients, all except the rocket, and de-seed your chilli. Pop the spring onions, garlic, chilli in a frying pan over a medium heat with a little bit of oil. Stir fry for about 5 or 6 minutes until the spring onions are softening and the garlic is golden brown. 

Stir through your chopped tomatoes and continue to stir and fry for another couple of minutes.

Chuck in the prawns and give them a good stir too. Make sure they're properly cooked but don't over do it - no-one likes a rubbery prawn.

Finally, stir this mixture through the pasta. Add the roughly chopped rocket and give that a stir too! Plate up and enjoy with some garlic bread if you're feeling indulgent.

I loved this recipe - there is a fiery kick from the chilli and it's full of lovely summery colours to brighten up your day. Thanks to the pasta base it still feels like a bowl of comfort food. S would have forgone the rocket and made a proper tomato sauce {this was the feedback for Sunday night's dinner} buuuut then it would be a totally different dish, wouldn't it? I've been really organised this week and had all our shopping delivered which means we have loads of delicious options for food {huzzah} but then I remembered pancake day is tomorrow and there is nothing I like more than pancakes for dinner so I am thrilled! Hopefully I'll still get plenty of different meals on the go this week instead of the repetition of a few classics that have got us through my past 3 weeks on placement!

Love B x







No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird